Christmastime in New York has more holiday spirit than I’ve ever had back in Houston. I absolutely love it. It’s the beautifully decorated store windows, the tree at Rockefeller Center, the Radio City Christmas Spectacular… This city is just made for the holidays!
I’ve pretty much got all the gifts I’m giving this year minus a few more I still need to round up. I love the challenge of giving the perfect gift and seeing their face when they get it. (There will be a post about “present face” somewhere in the near future!)
My favorite Rockstar, Naomi, recently put up a blog post of 25 christmas challenges that her mom gave her and invited anyone to do it with her. I decided to take the challenge and invite you to as well. All you have to do is fulfill one challenge for each day up to Christmas. Here are the challenges:
- go out of your way– befriend someone today that needs a friend and follow through to christmas
- tell someone you love them
- make a tree decoration that will remind you of Christ
- in your prayers today, give thanks for every blessing without asking for anything
- try to be as kind as possible to others today
- try not to quarrel with family members today
- do a good deed anonymously
- make goals for yourself– seal a copy in an envelope to be opened in a year
- visit someone sick or lonely or sad
- do volunteer work for some worthy cause
- do something fun for a child or younger sibling
- try to forgive someone who has wronged you, be reconciled
- make a “give list” instead of a list of gifts you’d like
- improve yourself in some way to please the Savior
- quietly reflect and choose uplifting activities vs shopping
- phone or send a card to an old friend or family member
- listen to Handel’s Messiah
- make a christmas treat for someone else
- be a calming influence today and control your temper
- accept the gift of forgiveness– pray for some weakness and ask for help in repenting of it
- look at christmas lights… where does all light come from?
- sing carols
- do something nice for someone without their knowing it was you
- be the first to say hello to people all day
- ask someone to tell you about a past christmas
I’m doing them in the order they’re written. So yesterday I did go out of my way for someone and plan on doing till at least Christmas! Today I said I love you to my mom, my wife, my sister, my nieces, and a few friends. Tomorrow’s challenge is to make a christmas decoration reminding me of Christ. This one should be interesting as I 1)am not a very crafty person and 2)i don’t have a Hobby Lobby anywhere close! I’ll make sure to keep you updated on what I come up with.
As I go throughout this holiday season, even though it’ll be very easy to get swamped in the gifts, (hopefully) snow, and high kicks, I’m really going to focus on the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ. What an amazing time of year it is and I hope that through all the hectic holiday hubbub, I might be able to keep the spirit of Christ in my heart.
I love you guys!